Saturday, August 16, 2008

Love Language


A long time ago I attended a seminar that touched on Gary Chapman's Five Languages of Love:
  • words of affirmation
  • giving of gifts
  • quality time
  • acts of service
  • physical touch
Of the five, my primary expression of love is in the form of words. It doesn't mean that I don't value gifts, or that physical touch is not that important to me; god knows I need all the rest. However, before I can fully trust the motive of a gift, or even warm to a touch, it is the manner of the givers speaking...honest and open words... a self revelation that gets through to me. This is just how I am. Not everyone understands.

One person alone does. No matter what my hairstyle, this person speaks the cryptic language of my cells like no one else. It is his amazing capacity to unlock the twisted coiled hieroglyphic coded meanderings of my soul that, to me, equals the miracle of life itself. And what he can't say, he makes me listen to. There is always a gift of a song for me. My sunrise and my sundown...

I am a woman...full.
You make me so beautiful...



wherever you are...whoever you are...
love is in the gaps...the spaces between air particles...
breath...

have a romantic week...

4 comments:

darkfoam said...

these are the thoughts of a lover for a beloved lover..
may he cherish them..
:)

exskindiver said...

sigh.
it is 3:50 am.
i can't sleep--and i think your music woke my entire house up.
:)

nice sentiments.

X. Dell said...

Primarily, we use with words here. So your preference seems natural. Without words, how do know if you want to spend time with someone, quality or no? Do any of us trust gifts from strangers? Or the intent of a touch? Without words, how do we begin to know how to serve each other?

I would see this as more or less a hierarchy of languages (like Maslow's hierarchy of needs).

Amber Cargile said...

I have read that book, too, Luxie, and like you, words are my love language.

But I have never phrased my thoughts about the subject as beautifully as you just did! What a lovely note. Your man is one lucky guy!