Thursday, August 28, 2008

A Movie Played For Me - Part 1

It plays on my mind like an old dusty Hollywood classic, only better, more poignant, more deeply affecting. A cut reeled just for me.

There was a downpour that night, so sudden. Luck found us a parking slot a few steps away from the place. We didn't have far to walk but struggled through the puddles, both of us huddled under our old yellow umbrella while the feisty onslaught of wind and water pelted both our pants. It was relief to get inside.

The waiter led us to a small wooden table; too small and situated at an angle I found discomforting. No matter the inconvenience of a wait, we truly had to insist being seated somewhere else; after all, dinner is meant to be enjoyed not endured. Thankfully, we didn't have to endure for long.

The table was perfect this time, wide and comfortable and calmly lighted. We had a view of the rains and of briskly walking people ducked under umbrellas, and of the young patrons who sat smoking outside where the overhead shade kept them dry. How these young people can stand the smoke and the cold and the wet altogether appeared hideous to my senses.

Being the pasta lover we are, a hushed serious discussion on what to order persisted for sometime. That agreed, we settled our choices. I declined the wine list. "Are you sure?" he asked feigning mock surprise. "Why yes," I replied though inwardly I was thinking, "perhaps later."

"They serve Danesi here," I continued to rev small talk.

About this time my eyes subtly scanned the other seated guests: two ladies to my right, one of whom was talking not so quietly into her cellphone. Discretion is so passe' for some it seems. A nice Indian family to our left conversing in a mixture of English and our local dialect. Not tourists.

In a nearby table was a Japanese lady oddly speaking in our local dialect as well, her accent sweetly twanged, and her voice audible enough to gather snippets of her life here for the past five years. This she was relating to her Filipina friend.

The other tables were occupied by a motley of couples, each engrossed in their own private conversation.


And then I saw them.....

( to be continued)

8 comments:

diana said...

heeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyy....
a cliffhanger..!
grump .. ;/ ... :)
that just means you have to post the continuation like now.
okay?
well, at least tomorrow then..

Shell said...

Oh, come on you can't leave us hanging. Can't wait to see what happens next.

ThursdayNext said...

Hurry up and post! :)

Anonymous said...

"dinner is meant to be enjoyed not endured"
Every time I read anything of you I learn a new usable phrase.
Thanks!

Lucy said...

Yikes! I'm looking forward to the next...

And I love the look of that restaurant, I'd like to be there now!

Guatyen said...

ooohhhhh.... next?

Amber Cargile said...

Hee! See, when you're a bad bloggy friend like me, and come in late, you can read Part 2 first! :-)

Seriously, I love to people watch also...sounds like a wonderful night.

Loved the "dinner is meant to enjoy, not endure" line also! Yes, yes! That sums up the exact feeling you get when the host seats you at a crappy table! :-)

exskindiver said...

hey friend.
it has been a while.
i love your description of the mother daughter scene.