It is almost 11 in the evening. The lights are out except for the bright square glimmer of this computer. Seated here, I am relishing the last drop of my sweet Mompo ( mass wine). My second glass. This drink is heaven.
I have just kissed R goodnight, doing it more tenderly and affectionately to make up for the quiver of nuisance I naughtily stirred hours ago. I am quite a character, but no, I don't want to go to bed just yet. So I type gently, ever so gently. He needs to sleep and I need to....I don't know. Whatever it is, it isn't sleep.
The window to my right is open and I can feel the mild coolness of the dark. I peer outside and see only shadows; huge mysterious shadows that sway to and fro.
Brown bats rule! I can see them too, vampire beauties they are.
When I pause from typing to listen, I hear the voice of this night; the thin veiled hum of a city of ants, bugs, crickets, and odd miniature creatures, all gainfully employed, toiling toiling toling, most of them in business - lawyers, engineers, architects, stock brokers, realtors. My backyard turned business district.
Shhhh......Something is crawling up the roof. Squeaks betray soft pattering feline footsteps. It must be the gray master gangster cat.
screams!! scramble!! mad dash!! Two cats flinging over each other! TO THE DEATH!
Aw' hell,why on my rooftop?! Shoooooooo......
Plane over head....always planes overhead..even at night...merciless metallic dragons!
I wonder....
how it sounds right now,
at this very moment in....in....in.....in....
the South Pole....hmmm...
Sunday, October 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









8 comments:
i don't know about the southpole, but i can tell you how it sounds like around noon on a sunday right about now: the hummm of the computer ..
the occasional chirp of a bird that stays for the winter..
the shutting of a door in the house..
the stomping into the kitchen of a 17 year old boy..
you have a pleasant night, prism.
xo ... :)
My night sounds pretty disturbed..with the noisy snores from my beloved other half..
had tried to turn him so that the sound stops..after 5 minutes..I heard it again. Guess I just have to buy ear plugs after this..
you know, i know exactly what that sounds like.
cats on a yero roof can be so loud.
and i remember many nights getting woken up by that.
and then before i knew it--the chickens would start stirring.
and to think that was not in some bukid.
Have a good night, Luxie! Of course, it's daytime Monday now for you! :-)
aaaaah ... you put me right in the moment, the quiet/noisy night when every little sound not heard in the day is magnified. Beautifully written; your words are so moving. It's 11:30pm for me now. I hear the soft drone of a plane in the distance, the trickling gurgle of the fountain below, the tap-tap-click as I type and hit the spacebar. I'm sleepy now .. .time to turn in ...
it's usually quiet around here, i love when it rains though. :)
The sound of silence
the south pole or earplugs
I'm longing for silence
Now I turn my laptop off
Bye bye...
You gave me an idea! That's a good activity before sleeping. To hear the sound of night's silence!
Post a Comment