Saturday, June 21, 2008

Breakfast Blues


" Prism's Untidy Kitchen"

I'm quite disappointed that the boys aren't all that enthusiastic for breakfast. If they had their way they'd both rather get past through me, hop on the car and scoot off to their college.
Frankly, I'm not your regular chirpy good morning person, and in spite of my previous pronouncement on getting up at the crack of dawn, I feel quite "cracked on the brain" when I do so. I get up by 6, a sane time I can handle at least, then proceed to hurriedly mold myself into some sort of human. My pj's stay put while I try to whip up something edible for the kids.


Thing is, I would have to remind, cajole, bribe, negotiate and yes, when all else fails, dastardly I'd have to growl, "Nobody leaves without breakfast!" Soooo...4th grade....gawd'.

Stress.

I feel resentful when I put on a full table and it gets a half hearted greeting. And I'm tired of having to do this. Really, I'd rather sleep if bacon and eggs don't entice and a plateful of pancakes go cold. Bushy loves the pancskes tho'.


Perhaps I'm not doing it right.

Then I found two blogs that I think can help me. One is a breakfast blog quite unlike others. SIMPLY BREAKFAST features the easiest ideas to start the day. No rice, no hard to prepare cooking.

This other blog is cute: ADVENTURES IN BENTO MAKING. In case the kids don't eat at home, at least I can have them take something like this when they leave.

One of this days I would have to write about the improvements, if any, that I have gained in this aspect.

Goodluck to me. Hey, what do you prep up for breakfast?

11 comments:

Gill said...

Thanks for the breakfast blog recommendations. I could use a lot of help in that department.
I don't. The kids make their own, under supervision.
Each person likes something different so that is what they get.
Yes, it makes for more work though!
xo

darkfoam said...

ehhhhhhh,
i keep cereal on hand and oats, grits. my oldest has always loved oats and fixes that himself. sometimes he will fix grits. my youngest will usually eat a bowl of cereal. non of the cereals are too junky. every once in a blue moon when i feel like it i might fix a cholesterol bomb type breakfast over the weekends. but my oldest has become health conscious. he has started to shun bacon.

Lucy said...

Boiled eggs is best, with a little bread and butter, orange juice and coffee. But not every day, only on work mornings, they keep me going longer than anything!

We grew up on bacon and egg breakfasts, but never really have them now, except on holiday if someone else is preparing them and it's in the price, but that doesn't happen in France, it's all croissants, bread and jam!

darkfoam said...

hey! are ya'll okay over there?
i know you've had a bit of weather ..
well, a lot of weather ..
pictures that i've seen don't look good.

ThursdayNext said...

Most mornings I eat instant oatmeal at work, but on weekends I love Special K waffles with bananas on top or egg white sandwiches with cheese. Oh, and of course, I get great bagels here in NY so I love a nice egg onion with tofu cream cheese.

This post has me hungry for breakfast all over again!

Anonymous said...

I hope you have been sheltered from the bad weather.

I must have a cup of coffee to wake up. And cereal and milk or oats are favorites. And a boiled egg. I usually serve my wife a breakfast tray on weekends.

X. Dell said...

I'm fond of eggs and bacon, in the morning. I'm curious about what you would normally eat. I've never had rice for breakfast (at least, not on purpose). And I don't think I've ever eaten bento before noon.

X. Dell said...

Concerning your previous posts:

My mom is the same way. She can drastically change her appearance at the drop of a hat.

I was also hoping that you didn't just party alone, but rather that you would have crashed the party, like a good New Yorker.

jac said...

Let me ask you then, are you doing it right ?? LOL

Amber Cargile said...

We do simple breakfasts...whole grain cereal, fresh fruit, toast. I would not (and don't!) go to all that effort if folks didn't want it or appreciate it. Just me...I'm bitchy like that! :-)

Amber Cargile said...

PS--My solution has been the easier-yet-healthy breakfasts most of the week, with maybe a fancier breakfast on Sunday morning. Seems like a good balance at our casa and then it's also more appreciated.