Friday, September 19, 2008

Simplicity



I have a son who will be turning 19 next week. Since it would be the last of his "teen" years, his overzealous parents went planning for a little gathering ( about 50 to 70 or so people) which included a swimming pool, food carts, a caterer, emcee ( his bro) and a program with games (my brilliant idea).

We aren't really the hippest of party folks so it was getting grueling to put what and what, this and that together. Frankly, things were swerving hectic but we were darn bent on making this cool thing happen.

It's about a week and a few days away so finally mommy and daddy told the kiddo' about it last night. After listening politely to my revelations of the fun we would have inviting people
( including my friends of course), and romping in the pool, and having games and prizes and such, out of the blue he says;

"No offense meant, but I'm not comfortable with a crowd of people coming in on one swoop in occasion of me. I'd much rather we hie off to Baguio ( summer capital) as a family and commune with the mountains. I do have a few close friends I'd like to take out for pizza, but that's that."

All went quiet for a sec.


"Are you sure coz' we're doing this for you," hubz asked.


"Of course Dad," he answered nonchalantly.


Hubz and I glanced at each other. I could read relief.

"Can we pick strawberries like we did the last time we were in the mountains?" I asked, smiling.


"If they are in season, and I think they always are," he replied.


And so, no grand party.
No invites.
No games.
No clubhouse pool rental.
No caterers.
No tables with fancy napkins.
No stress.

Instead, just a few glorious peaceful days in a cool mountain place for the 4 members of this family.Fun.


I guess it's true...



"The wiser the soul, the greater the simplicity."
(Tut sent this reminder last night to me. Coincidence)

8 comments:

darkfoam said...

great kid ..
wise beyond his years!
but i'm not surprised.
he's your child after all ..
cuVUmm .....
(foam speeding away ....
she's liking the work v erification this time .. :)

rebecca said...

definitely a boy. a girl would've been completely different, believe me!

it's so refreshing to see young kids yearn for the simple and familial things in life. i think you will end up enjoying his suggestion so much more.

Rose - Watching Waves said...

I, of course, got the simplicity message from TUT, too; I feel it's very true. The great philosophers tended to be simple and honest, not grand and ostentatious, right? I think your son is quite wise and well-grounded. What a nurturing place he has grown up in! Nice work. :-)

beezee~bee said...

remembered that day when i was abt to turn 20...i sulked bout it for days, not wanting the number 1 to dissapear at the front...not wanting to be a real adult & take responsibilities etc etc...
my younger sis asked me " have you figured out how you can stop that from happening? besides...you know the 'D' word...it shut me up and i braced 20 with a false smile... heheheh

Shell said...

That is so sweet. I'm glad your son spoke up and you both listened to him. His birthday was all the more sweeter because of this.

Amber Cargile said...

What a wise and centered young man! I would not have made that option at that age, although I would now! In fact, my husband offered to throw me a 40th birthday party next spring and I said, "Please, NO!" LOL

X. Dell said...

I'd say the world needs a hug and an enema.

I would drop by more frequently, but have little time these days. You're the treasure here, I believe.

The story of your son is interesting in that often times we seem to do things for other people. Despite the best intentions in our hearts, some of us have a hard time if what we do or propose to do isn't what the intended object of our benefaction truly doesn't want it. In this case, it saved everyone here a lot of grief.

Lucy said...

How wonderful.

and I'm sure I'm not the only one to say it but you just don't look old enought to ahve a son of 19!