
"I Laaaab MY JOB!!!"
Oh, I will never forget that feisty screaming streak blond bleach haired lady vendor who passionately snapped this phrase at two foolish gawking young men.....ha!ha!ha!
Happened a couple years back when I was living in the fringes of a place called "Marikina." Whenever I was in the mood for "tawilis"
( a small fry fish that tastes buttery nutty when crisp fried to a crunch) the only logical place to go for the freshest catch was the Marikina Wet Market. Supermarkets can't compete.
I was part of the masses absorbed and hooked at the titillating chaos of bodies, veggies, fruits, chicken, pork, beef, shrimps, clams, lobsters, oh, every conceivable kind of succulent find. Fantastic!
Food, life, color, honks, shove, push, pull, barter, clinking coins and the uproar of voices hollering to buy this and that swearing to crosses, heavens and graves that their produce was the freshest at the lowest cost. Stall after stall after stall, I loved the madness of it all!
I was attracted to her store. She was different. She was vavoom!
Dressed in roses, her yellow bleached hair in a pin, her lips a full pouting red, and her cheeks all dolled up, she was a standout among the other lady vendors who did their business garbed in the usual drab attire.
I caught her pausing from the frenzy of buying costumers to take a quick peek at her golden mirror hidden conspicuously inside her apron. At that moment two wise guys cracked in laughter and mockingly asked why on earth she bothers to fix up her hair and dress to party when her job was nothing more than to sell - fish!
Lowly, lowly fish.
I wish you could have heard that "kwack" violent snap of her little pocket mirror, the pointy arch of her left brow, the blaze in her eyes, and the fire in her voice when she stood straight and with chin lifted high she bellowed in her tangiest English.......
'beeeeeeecozzz' I laaaaaab my jaaaaaaaab!!!"...."
may problema kayoooo?"
( you guys have a problem with that!?)...
Heeh! hee!hee!
Everybody within a mile of hearing distance bursted in laughter, not at the lady, but at the startled expression of the two men who sheepishly pointed to a kilo of this and that lest the irked rosy blondie fish vendor started flinging them with her day's gigantic collection of sword fish.
Oh, how I admire that lady.
Her zest and enthusiasm, her fire and attitude, her outlook and work disposition so worth emulating.
I remember her today as I watch with distaste our local high ranking politicians clad in their expensive suits and shining imported shoes. Well groomed politicians with Harvard and Ivy League decorations who steal and corrupt and lie with straight faces. Thick faced pompous asses who stink this whole nation with their rotten fishy fetid body aroma that reaches even the high borders of Russia. Soulless creeps who drain, plunder, pillage and rape this nation of its dignity.
Ditch your pricey diplomas you fang faced mushroom sharks who place no value in the office of your position. Look for that rosy flowered luminary of a lady who sells tawilis and tilapia and salmon and sharks fin. Ask her what it means for someone to truly truly truly, in all honesty 'lab one's jab." She can very well educate you, and perhaps, salvage your corrupted spirit.
There in the fishy market of Marikina, you will be saved!
Oh, I will never forget that feisty screaming streak blond bleach haired lady vendor who passionately snapped this phrase at two foolish gawking young men.....ha!ha!ha!
Happened a couple years back when I was living in the fringes of a place called "Marikina." Whenever I was in the mood for "tawilis"
( a small fry fish that tastes buttery nutty when crisp fried to a crunch) the only logical place to go for the freshest catch was the Marikina Wet Market. Supermarkets can't compete.
I was part of the masses absorbed and hooked at the titillating chaos of bodies, veggies, fruits, chicken, pork, beef, shrimps, clams, lobsters, oh, every conceivable kind of succulent find. Fantastic!
Food, life, color, honks, shove, push, pull, barter, clinking coins and the uproar of voices hollering to buy this and that swearing to crosses, heavens and graves that their produce was the freshest at the lowest cost. Stall after stall after stall, I loved the madness of it all!
I was attracted to her store. She was different. She was vavoom!
Dressed in roses, her yellow bleached hair in a pin, her lips a full pouting red, and her cheeks all dolled up, she was a standout among the other lady vendors who did their business garbed in the usual drab attire.
I caught her pausing from the frenzy of buying costumers to take a quick peek at her golden mirror hidden conspicuously inside her apron. At that moment two wise guys cracked in laughter and mockingly asked why on earth she bothers to fix up her hair and dress to party when her job was nothing more than to sell - fish!
Lowly, lowly fish.
I wish you could have heard that "kwack" violent snap of her little pocket mirror, the pointy arch of her left brow, the blaze in her eyes, and the fire in her voice when she stood straight and with chin lifted high she bellowed in her tangiest English.......
'beeeeeeecozzz' I laaaaaab my jaaaaaaaab!!!"...."
may problema kayoooo?"
( you guys have a problem with that!?)...
Heeh! hee!hee!
Everybody within a mile of hearing distance bursted in laughter, not at the lady, but at the startled expression of the two men who sheepishly pointed to a kilo of this and that lest the irked rosy blondie fish vendor started flinging them with her day's gigantic collection of sword fish.
Oh, how I admire that lady.
Her zest and enthusiasm, her fire and attitude, her outlook and work disposition so worth emulating.
I remember her today as I watch with distaste our local high ranking politicians clad in their expensive suits and shining imported shoes. Well groomed politicians with Harvard and Ivy League decorations who steal and corrupt and lie with straight faces. Thick faced pompous asses who stink this whole nation with their rotten fishy fetid body aroma that reaches even the high borders of Russia. Soulless creeps who drain, plunder, pillage and rape this nation of its dignity.
Ditch your pricey diplomas you fang faced mushroom sharks who place no value in the office of your position. Look for that rosy flowered luminary of a lady who sells tawilis and tilapia and salmon and sharks fin. Ask her what it means for someone to truly truly truly, in all honesty 'lab one's jab." She can very well educate you, and perhaps, salvage your corrupted spirit.
There in the fishy market of Marikina, you will be saved!
Credits: Art work by award winning Filipino graphic designer and book illustrator : Robert A. Alejandro
This art work also appears in the website of my favorite novelty shop: Papemelroti
19 comments:
ohhhhhh..
a non post .. !!!
It is a fish, at least it is a fish in the great art work
sooooo...
are we getting ready for a fish fry?
yummmmmm....
And this is not a comment ... yet. lol!
wow ..
the non post certainly grew up fast and furiously!
sounds like that lady oughta be running things. or at least she ought to be hired to take her swordfish and knock a politician or 2 or 3 upside the head. sounds like they have no sense .. or rather a corrupt sense of sense ..
hmmmmm..
they sound like they are from here ..
Your blog is ever evolving and such a feast for the eyes :)
I agree, it isn't what you do, it is HOW you do it. You can be amazing at anything if you do it with love. With gusto. Pride.
Those guys sure learned a lesson.
xoxo
it reminds me that no matter how menial your job is, if you put enough passion in it, you will touch others lives and stand out.
Corrupt politicians are very dangerous, you are so right in what you write.
this is a good post prism, a great message.
i have at times find it hard to comment on your blog too, and sometimes can't access to your blog. *shrug* the world of blogger is weird sometimes. if you wish to write, i can be reach at alisonkoh@yahoo.com
Yes. In Marikina, there's a lady who can teach these politicians how it is to love their job so passionately, with poise, and with DIGNITY.
Wow, I love the christmas theme in your blog. May music pa. Ganda!
This article made me smile at more than one instance... :) ...
I know what you mean, at all the levels that you want to mean them...
I'm going to add this article of yours to my "what I'm reading" box on my site, right now.
Charity
Delightful, delightful story! I can feel the energy in the fish lady, see her dolled up beauty, sense her confidence and pride. Your stories are such a delicious treat! May the energy of the fiery fishy lady be linked up with the energy of all other good people in your beautiful Phillipines and have a positive influence on those in government.
Oh my gosh, that was a fantastic post...wonderful writing, colorful vision and masterful closing. YOU are a gifted writer, Luxie and I love reading your blog!
I remember having a cleaner lady in our office who hums and sings all the way when she's working. She greets everybody and smile the sweetest smile too. She once made us laugh so heartily when she casually told our boss (who's grey-haired but just got a newborn).."Uncle, you have a beautiful granddaughter!" when saw the baby's photo on the laptop's wallpaper! And she made him stand up, leave his desk for her to clean up! The boss smiled dryly..and said nobody made him leave his work except her. But he didn't get angry coz she was so jovial. And we enjoy having somebody who really loves her job!
Thank you everyone for being here and taking time to read what I wrote. I appreciate your feedback and comments and truly treasure them:)
Hello Lady Prism,
Thank you so much for this post. The lady who sells the fish sounds like an amazing woman, who takes pride in who she is and what she does.
You've described those in the second half of your post perfectly!!!!!
How right you are!!!!
I'd rather hang with the woman at the fish store anyday, before the crooked people.
Wishing you a very blessed day!
Lydia
Hey Lydia, hi there! That woman is an unforgettable character indeed. I can't forget the way she seemed to be filled with such a positive aura. It's nic to be around people like that.
what a lovely site.
Angel Blessings
you did wonderful telling us this story, you make me wanna meet her!
Post a Comment