Place: Glorietta, Makati City
I lunched at the mall yesterday. I was too early for my 1:00 pm business errand so decided to kill a bit of time. No, the picture here doesn't show the place. This is a file photo of a different mall. By the way, please whisper a prayer for my laptop; tomorrow it goes in for surgery.
Anyway, it was great to find a seat beside the window. A window seat makes for great relaxing and daydreaming when you're alone.
As usual, my eyes started scanning the scene around me. People, busy people, office people in their corporate suits, preppy ladies who lunch, shopping tourists, all types, all sorts, all kinds.
From out of the blue I saw a gentleman walking briskly towards the sporting goods store adjacent to where I was. He had this expression of serious intent on his face. I also noticed that he was holding on to a piece of paper. A receipt most likely, for what else could it be? Hmm...a list perhaps, of gifts to buy?Nothing unusual about that except, he was uncombed and in boxer shorts.
Shorts!
Like really shortie shortie jammie type ones made of thin comfy checkered cotton. The kind my husband wears for sleep.
The man was also wearing a white cotton undershirt. The kind my husband wears for sleep too! Add to that was his bedroom slippers completing a look of just getting up and deciding right then and there to head for the mall and go buy a ball! Odd.
What was even odder was that a mall security guard with his black on duty labrador was trailing behind him. The guard was whispering something in his hand held radio, his face wearing a blank silly expression of confusion and uncertainty.
As the boxer clad man walked into the store, the guard stood for a brief moment outside seemingly assessing what to do next. He was probably wondering if there was a rule against short cotton jammies that leave nothing to the imagination, blue bedroom slippers and over sized undershirts. I was wondering along the same lines.
Why shop in sleepwear? At this place - the heart of the business district?
Was it for the sake of fashion?
Was he making a political statement?
Was he rebelling against the commercial status quo?
Or was he just an over disgruntled costumer who couldn't wait to shower before getting a refund?
Endless possibilities in my observation of oddities.
Have a great weekend.
13 comments:
You know, from how you describe it, my first guess is that he's a guy who works the graveyard shift, and suffers from sonambulism (sleepwalking).
(BTW, here's a first: the word verification is an actual word: 'graver'.)
sooooooooo ...
he had to come out, didn't he?
you didn't stay long enough to find out?
apparently the only rule here in the united states is:
no shirt, no shoes, no service ..
i'm waiting for somebody to show up with no pants and expect service..
reader verification: componi
surely that's a word somewhere?
I think that maybe he is from a different culture? Regardless of race, I mean. If he was Filipino, there's still a possibility that maybe he grew up in Japan (where they wear anything to anywhere). Or maybe he lives in a condo right beside the mall. And when you live in a condo right beside the mall, the mall begins to feel like it's your own backyard. Trust me. I know. :) Sometimes I feel like going down in my jammies. It's too much hard work putting your face on and dressing in something appropriate when you're just going downstairs for a minute to buy, like, feminine wash...you know what I mean? :)
Besides, who cares what people think, right? :)
:) I love the things you notice :)
I'm hoping, when I tumble into the car to take my son to school in the morning- not too many people realize I'm usually still in my PJ's
:D
Sleep shopping?
Or perhaps an error on his purchase kept him awake all night! :-)
oh geez! something we dont see much or ever, do we?
boxer & bedroom slippers aside...i hope he's mentally sound ;)
Modern shopping malls seems to be the same all over the world.
If you are there long enough you will see all kind of humans and extra terrestrials too.
I hope your laptop is fit today.
XDELL:
1)I just watched a documentary about "sleep walking" a day ago. The mall was connected to a hotel so it could be possible!
2) Grv sounds like a creepy word. I hope something nicer pops up..like daisies or fireflies. I've seen verifications like that.
ROLF: I'm sure 've bumped into a couple of ET's without knowing it. They blend fitly with the crowd.
How funny if he woke up to find himself in the sports shop! Perhaps he had a bet with someone?
I love 'shortie shortie jammie type ones made of thin comfy checkered cotton', it really made me smile!
Oh my goodness! That is...well..I guess he likes to be comfy when he shops?!?
*giggle*
Maybe he just wanted to look sporty in his shorty? ;-)
Foam: The waiter came over and asked me for my order. I didn't catch him leave the shop after that. Too bad. he!he!
Merisi: Nice to see you here. LOL! Probably! :)
Amy: Super comfy is more like it ha!ha!
Lucy: ha!ha!ha! wow, if he were sleepwalking and did wake up in the sporting shop hee!hee! then that would have been quite a dreamy experience for him ha!ha!
Amber: Yes, sleep shopping The first I've seen.
Mayden: I do that too! :)
Charity: You're right. He was probably checked in at the Crown Plaza. He looked like an Asian foreigner.
Beezee: I've seen people shop wearing comfy clothes, I do the same too. But this guy was really quite a standout that day he!he!
Or is he just rebelling on something on that day? Ha ha ha..
Post a Comment