Thursday, December 4, 2008

Decor Diva' (?)

* This greeny pic here is a portion of my home today.

My head feels like lead and sleeping would be best for me I know. But right now, my ten pudgy small fingers are flickering in motion, burping with insatiable urge to zap off excited squirmy electrons, protons and atoms.

"Tickity tack, tickity tack" it rushes me to type, so here goes something before I snooze.

I was looking through oldie files of photos from two years back and came across a few lovelies I want to share.

They are pics of the home I used to live in and memories came flooding back. Good memories of family dinners, teacher friends dropping by, and student's hollering "hi" when they biked by.


How I miss that simple home with its lovely blue terrace. I could watch the moon and stars at nights when mosquitoes were too lazy to bite.

Now, I know with utmost certainty that I am a serious decorator's ultimate harrowing nightmare. My style then was rogue, wild and cluttered ( still is ) and would cause the most cataclysmic fright to the nitty neatpiks'. An aunt of mine who has the most shinny lemon polished organized home would most likely squeak " que horror " if she had seen this particular place of mine.

None of those vogue metal modern minimalist elements. I had none of the expensive classy hardwood chairs or tables, wherein, heaven forbid, I would have to be insanely bothered to constantly shine. No way.

That home was a "
come in and and grab a cookie" type of home! It was always brimming with tea, coffee, cake, books and people.



Well, I must admit tho' that sometimes when I visit my cool friends who live in their big fabulous glamorous chic fancy designer homes complete with marbled floors and imported granite italian venetian european whathaveyou' tables and faucets and sinks, I'd ooh and ahh' and ogle and gawk' a bit.

But then again, when I hit my haven of a splashing wilderness, where my two teeners plinked and twanked their acoustic guitars till night, and where the highlight of the decor was the charisma of a "blue toy car," believe me, not even a palace estate can entice me to give up my cozy shack. See, here it is - or was, my 2006 home.

My hubby was game. I thank him truly for that. He'd just smile and shake his head and usually ask "what's this, honey, and does this have to be here?" He let me have my way with stuff toys on top of the ref, and empty wine bottles turned garden candle holders, and domino mugs, and plates that rarely matched.

Today, in my present home, admittedly, I am trying to be a bit "tame." Meaning, I am so trying to color match everything. In fact, I went looking for a few things a day ago and came home with green curtains and green paintings to match my printed green elf dining chair cushions. My darling hubby has so expertly attached those paintings onto our wall ( see first photo above).

There are a few glitches, I think, with my purchases, like the two humongous sofa pillowcases that are tigery stripe, not too sure about that. Not me, it seems tho' it looked chic on display at the store.

Plus, I dunno' - but I have this feeling that everything seems to be turning a notch bit too - mossy . Then again, there are the prints of green dowgies and cats that are a thrill find! Both will hang on the wall come weekend. Looovely he!he!


If you have time, you are welcome to view a few pics of my old home here.

Oh' but before you go, don't forget that I wish YOU a great fun week :)

11 comments:

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

tigery stripes???!!!
That's me!!!
LOL

p.s. I love what i see in your pictures and your words about your world and absolutely feel your warm lovely home.
hugs sweet mermaid!

Anonymous said...

sweet home, sweet home, sweet home

I did take a look at your old home, I like it.

But why is your head like lead? To much wine? My cold is gone now, so this weekend there are no excuses for not running.

Shell said...

I like your old home. It's full of color and warmth. Designer homes are pretty. Sometimes they lack a lived in feeling. Don't do to much matchy matchy with stuff. That is boring. Your house should be you.

JR's Thumbprints said...

I like to use those old pictures as writing prompts; they make all those childhood memories come flooding back.

Amber Cargile said...

I love a warm, colorful home that expresses its denizens' personalities SO MUCH MORE than the "model" homes you see in so many magazines and home tours. Blech. Soulless. Your home sings w/ love, style, panache! Love it!

sparringK9 said...

grrrerhahahaha! i remember that terrace. did i write a poem about it once -laying on your pillows i believe? this blog just gets prettier and prettier. and i love the photo of you on the profile. xo to you!

darkfoam said...

you know .. one of these days you should just put all the stuff you have together and see what happens ..
not worry about decor so much..
because i think even those striped tiger pillows are a part of you.
you bought them, didn't you?
here's to a happy green holiday, filled with little green christmas balls, and bluish/whitish twinkling lights .. :)

Rose - Watching Waves said...

It's fun to put our personal touch into our living spaces and to change it when the mood strikes. I've gone through so many phases! Love it all. I loved those turquoise stairs in your former home.

A comfy cozy home where others can gather and relax and laugh is always the most beautiful home of all.

HLiza said...

Oh wait till you see my house! I don't have any style of decoration at all.. everything is practical, fuss-free and economical since we keep on moving from one place to another. I had never really invited any colleagues since I worry they will frown at my house. Theirs are very well-decorated; with imported furnitures and all! I think the house should be a home first; whatever surrounds you should be comfy for you Lux. I think your old house is beautiful and cosy!

Gypsy Butterfly said...

Hello Lady Prism,
I love the photos that you have here on this post. The colors are so amazaing!!!!
Our decorating changes and becomes more conservative as we get older. I've noticed this with my decorating style too.
Have a great day,
Lydia

LOREN said...

I love colors and looove your old home. It's so cozy, so homey, so sweet, so feel-good!