I slowed down my pace, approached the line of parked cars within its perimeter and strained to have a peek inside.
Wheeeeeeeew!! Golly to be!
The sight that beheld me was one of a seductively trellis lit orchid and Thai bamboo pathway leading to a corner part of the prettiest exotic garden I have seen lately. Voices, laughter and smooth classical music wafted from somewhere within....almost secret.
I wanted to stop and stare but had to fight the urge. A guest or a member might see me; manners dictate that I curb my inner garden neighbor peep hee! hee!. Oh' but truly, the home and its tropical garden was a dent of heaven. Sigh.
Increasing my pace, I rounded the next street. Didn't notice how much my soles were scrubbing through the pavement till I came upon the community park with its newly built open chapel. A group of praying ladies looked my way giving notice on how much squeeech my presence was slicing through the silence of the evening. Realizing this, I slowed to a walk and abruptly realized something else.
Mind chatter.
Yes, my mind seemed to be talking a mile a minute as I was jogging along.
The group of ladies were chanting....their soft echoing prayers filling the garden so much as the Dama de Noches were. Instinctively, I sat myself in a pretty wooden bench and rested a few paces hidden from them. My clanging mind hushed to their hypnotic murmurs of Our Father's and Hail Mary's. Before long, I too found myself uttering a prayer of my own.
Moments later, the voices stopped; goodbyes and good nights were softly extended between them. I too rose to resume my walk.
Finding my path back to the streets through the dimly lit garden, I chanced upon one of the ladies. "Good evening," she said. Her smile was full and genuine. Somewhat surprised, I too said "good evening" giving back a full smile.
Shy as I am, it's not everyday I give somebody I don't know a full smile...or get one from someone....
Then I realized the most important thing....Words don't always mean something.
And that the most mundane, trivial oft repeated word or phrase only gains its true measure of worth when said from the heart..
And last night...a moonless plain humid night....
.....and not even for some astoundingly important reason...
I felt the peaceful worth of a gem of an ordinary
"good evening."
I felt the peaceful worth of a gem of an ordinary
"good evening."
8 comments:
thanks for sharing your very ordinary good evening. it sounds perfectly lovely ..
i do have to say that part of my imagination has you running through that party in that fancy house and wishing everybody a good evening with a big grin on your face as you jog by.
wonder what theirt reaction would be?
not as genuine as the good evening of the peacefully praying lady you met..
I relaxed as soon as I walked in here..Beautiful new blog Lux :)
good friday prism, and happy mother's day weekend! :)
I'm smiling as I think of you spying on those women's conversations.
What you say about words: method actors are taught that words don't matter. It's precisely what you said, in that its true measure is how close it comes from the heart.
At the same time, I shudder to think of the day when words become meaningless. With the iconography of TV, movies, film, and other electronic media, the word often is subordinate to the image.
oh to seak and peek into someones secret garden...bliss :D
love & peace to you,
xo darlene
What a blissful happy find!
Try giving out more smiles for practice, see how many you get back! You won't stay shy for long. You don't seem shy to me!!!
Shine on Prism!!!
xo
You have a beautiful way with words. Love your blog! Thanks for visiting mine yesterday and posting such a sweet comment.
Catherine
i keep forgetting to mention that as always your pictures are just by themselves your life story.
shine on Prism star ;-)
Post a Comment