Should I be given a choice on the matter, I would pretty much prefer to wear our national costume as an everyday attire. No kidding! Why should I when there is such a vast variety of elegant styles to choose from, each embroidered with the most intricate of lace and fashioned from the most exotic pina textile.If I could, I would - shred away my Guess jeans and shirts, and wear with pride the kind of clothes that define who I really am. I am a true Filipina. And I am upset.
- At the ignorance, callousness, crassness and downright barbaric cultural insensitivity of a BBC comedy show that portrayed a Filipina maid in such an offending manner. The rotten core of that racial slur slighted me as well.
I am not a maid. I do not and will not, ever, sweep, launder, fold clothes or cook for anyone else. But so many other Filipina women do. They are mothers and sisters and aunts; different professions, different persuasions.
These magnanimous women have given up the closeness of family ties, the comfort of hometown familiarity, the cheer of friends, barrio fiestas and languid afternoon siestas. Not a few have sold land, borrowed money, and swallowed personal honor and pride in order to don the distinctive "apron" of a maid - a ruffled attire made downright humiliating because of discrimination.
Honestly, who would want to leave one's own children to take care of somebody else's if it were not for the direst need of money? Master - Servant. This is the first of Third World reality.
Sometimes happy endings occur: Romance, love, weddings, permanent visas, assimilation, new family,nice home.
Happy eh?
More often, they come home, insane.
Beaten, broke and insane.
They also make it back in crates of nailed wooden boxes labeled, "dead." Smashed faces, broken bones, swollen bruised, badgered, raped, tortured, scalded alive - the works! Mostly, from the Middle East.
Today's typical Filipina is thought of as little brown sex starved submissive dudettes who will gyrate, contort, back flip, handstand, oh, do just about anything for a dollar, yen, real, euro, or pound.
Yes, there are Filipina prostitutes, that is a dirty fact. Tons. I will not judge. By choice or not, they each have their own story.
BUUUT, they do NOT....absolutey NOT represent the reality of the whole! Heck, no.
They do not represent the millions of hardworking mothers and sisters and aunts who lovingly take care of other people's homes and children in foreign countries. It bore straight to the heart seeing how that disgusting British show portrayed it so:
"You, (pointing to the Filipina), hump him ( referring to impotent clown)."
Which is why, if I only have the power, if I could only bring magic in one wink, I'd like to see the women of my country fashioned in the dignity and hope of this bygone era, once over again:
Vintage footage of Manila
8 comments:
i feel ur sentiment girl! this is a crazy, prejudice & stereotyped world...it's easier to believe in the bad then it is in the good of mankind ;(
raise ur voice...it may be heard!
I am totally feeling you on this post. Racism is a ugly poison that affects us all.
I'm sorry for such ugliness.
I always think of the women of your country as beautiful, hard working, intelligent, and thoughtful...
because that's WHO you are.
You are the face of the Filipina women to me.
Well,the fate of ignorance is to ridicule that which it doesn't understand. Prejudice is easier than understanding people on a case-by-bcase basis. And they make for cheap comedy.
The US has a long history of such depictions of non-western countries and peoples in its narratives. Oftentimes, the entertainment would support barbaric policies (e.g., Jim Crow laws, the name of which derives from the minstrel show character).
i'm hoping you are well...
racism masked by comedy is insidiously evil.
driven by ego. power hungry people. but not all. there are good ones too, yes? that strive for the betterment of humankind?
I am so sorry for the uglyness of it all..it hurts when we are portrayed that way. I knew a pharmacist who come all the way from your country leaving the family to earn a living here. I remember having long conversation with her in my car..how she cried when she told me about the kids she left behind. The world is so unfair..
I have admired your national costume since I was little..it's beautiful; it makes you look like a princess.
What a powerful post, Luxie.
My internal vision of Filipinas are the gals I went to school with in Guam. Funny, smart, lovely and very hardworking...just like you!
Post a Comment