Friday, June 13, 2008

The Mask



We went out last night. Just the two of us to watch the latest Shyamalan movie. We are S fans somewhat but "The Happening" did not deliver......kinda' dragging, substandard acting with script lines that are so totally elementary. It has a great plot tho' and it sucks that the rest of the elements that comprise the making of a great film was totally absent. My opinion this is.

And since it was payday Friday, there was quite a crowd at the strip of bars and restaurants lining Greenbelt. Basically everyone, and I mean everyone, was dressed to the hilt All seemed bent to party hard and spend money.....never mind that gas prices scored a notch up that very hour. Probably why everyone was holding a drink.

Usually I'd feel the vibes of this and seduce my date ( the usual date of course) to secure a table in a corner of my choice bar. Margarita for me and vodka for him....a single shot before heading home please. I love the warm soothing feel of a slowly taken drink while samba pulses through the air, candles flicker, people in laughter, my man talking...me listening...

Somehow last night didn't do it for me. No urge at all to linger. The city lights did not fascinate. When I looked into the faces of people, I saw masks...like everyone was hiding behind makeup and clothes and bags and steaks and drinks of Absolutes...Unreal.

I wished we were somewhere else that moment....an open field of night quiet...a wide expanse of space with crickets and critter sounds....just lying in the grass looking up into the stars...



Strangely, without much of a word, I knew.... he felt the very same way too..

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My name is Bond, James Bond.

Your friday:
Maybe it was an awakening.
You now see through all the disguises
Disgusting!
But there is real beauty in this world

darkfoam said...

it's all a game .. a social game .. look at me .. i'm here in my clothes, etc ..
if i'm with people i really enjoy i don't mind the bustle so much, although i'd just as soon hang with them in a more intimate setting.

Gill said...

I know just what you mean.
Sometimes, we have the ability to see the darkest side of people, and when we do, we just want to get away from it all.
On nights like that, you think you are the only one in the world who can see through humanity, and all it's flaws. It's true, most people walk around with blinders on to it.
(Husbands tend to blame such insights on hormones! LOL...at least mine does. Anytime my world view doesn't agree with his.)
xoxo
Enjoy the rest of your weekend, and rent a chick flick to make up for the not-so-good movie!!!

HLiza said...

I feel this emptiness whenever I go to big cities overseas without my family..all the nice things in the world cannot make me happy. And ahh..yes, the oil price increases again..the reason for all the cranky things people do now.

Rose - Watching Waves said...

masks and facades, disguises and false laughter. Genuineness is such a delightful pleasure, free from the games. I love the genuine feeling of your words here, your ability to speak your Truth, the way that you are experiencing it, not the way you think that others want to hear it. You are always refreshing and delightful!
Namaste

Amber Cargile said...

I think it's just getting old! LOL Not really, but honestly, I am just not into noisy nightspots anymore myself. And when I was young...oooheeeh, I wanted to be where the action was. Now the best action is a quiet jazz bar (no smoking!), a glass of wine, quiet times...or better yet...home!